Vulnerability factors

If you are worried that your child is being radicalised, you have a number of options. Talking to your child is a good way to gauge if your instincts are correct, but you might prefer to share your concerns with someone else first.

Talking to your child about extremism and radicalisation can be daunting but advice is available to help you start the conversation with them.

If you’d prefer to speak with someone else before talking with your child, there are a number of options, people and organisations you can turn to for help and advice:

  • Raise the issue with your child’s teachers, a friend or a close family member. Explain your worries and find out if they have noticed anything out of the ordinary. Hearing another perspective may help you decide if something is wrong
  • Organise a meeting with the safeguarding lead at your child’s school. They will be able to advise you on the best approach
  • Your local police force or local authority can also provide advice and support. If your child has not committed a criminal offence, speaking to the police or local authority will not get your child into trouble. They will discuss your concerns and suggest how to best protect your child

Useful numbers:

  • If you think someone is about to carry out an act of terrorism, dial 999
  • If you have concerns, but there’s no immediate danger, dial 101
  • You can also report your concerns via the government Anti-Terrorist Hotline 0800 789 321 and a confidential online form which can be found here


The UK Safer Internet Centre website promotes the safe and responsible use of technology for young people, and features a helpline for advice.

The FAST website provides support for families whose children have travelled to conflict zones or who may be about to plot, or commit, acts of terror in the UK.

NSPCC advice on the dangers of radicalisation and details of their helpline.

A downloadable booklet for parents with information about extremism and radicalisation, produced by Educate Against Hate.